Careers >> Application Engineer
Filamatic, a division of National Instrument LLC is a 70-year-old leading manufacturer of packaging machinery for pharmaceutical, cosmetic, biotech, and chemical specialty industries located in Baltimore, Maryland. Our success is attributed to exceeding our customers’ expectations by providing products and services which offer a superior value proposition, striving to create a great working environment for our employees and driving continuous process improvement initiatives.
The culture at Filamatic is built on our shared core values – ethical, team-oriented, continuous improvement, trust, golden rule standard (we treat others as we want to be treated ourselves), excellence (we strive for excellence individually and expect the same from our colleagues and support our employees to improve their skills and talents), customer centric and a healthy and safe work environment. If you are interested in making an impact with a growing company and want to share ideas and help build a world class organization this is the company to join.
Why Work for Filamatic
- Highly engaged workforce committed to solving customer problems.
- A company that values their employees.
- A company that promotes a culture of support, open communication, and teamwork.
- Experienced handling and metering most liquids used in the diagnostic, biotech, and cosmetic industries.
- A respected and well recognized name for manufacturing durable machinery that is made in the U.S.A.
- Leadership that is committed to the development of the employees.
- Leadership that is passionate about continuous improvement and growth.
- Employees that possess expert knowledge in their fields.
- A company that believes strongly in supporting the community through local charities.
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, and 401K
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Tuition reimbursement
- Work life balance
- Coaching and mentorship
- Health Savings Account
- Employee Assistance Program
Working as a bridge between customers and engineering team, the application engineer will use customer input and sales information to configure and cost the best packaging solution for customers. Application Engineers are the primary technical resource for the field sales force and are responsible for actively driving and managing the technology evaluation stage of the sales process. Working in conjunction with the sales and engineering teams as the key technical advisor and product advocate, the Application Engineer must be able to identify and provide reliable solutions for all technical issues through all stages of the sales process. The Application Engineer must be able to establish and maintain strong relationships throughout the sales cycle.
- Articulate technology and product positioning to both business and technical users – verbally, and in written proposal format.
- Develop & maintain expert level of product knowledge and application.
- Listen, understand, and convey customer requirements.
- Provide technical support and expertise to customers, e.g. respond to functional and technical elements of RFIs/RFPs, testing applications, or customer feedback.
- Complete proposals on time, ideally meeting customer expectations on technical and commercial merits.
- Leads discussion within the applications team on the best configuration to meet customer requirements.
- Provide design and specification development support to consultants, integrators, distributors, & partners.
- Conduct product testing, when applicable, to aid in baselining system performance.
- Perform technical/ product training for salespeople, and engineers at targeted accounts.
- Assist in the design and development of new products and tools consistent with the company objectives.
- Maintain accurate records of target accounts, opportunities, quotes, projects, contacts, and correspondence in company approved databases
- Acquire and analyze customer needs and problems, making recommendations to the engineering team to satisfy needs and develop solutions to help future growth
Education and Experience
- BA/BS in Engineering, Technical Field, or equivalent technical work experience
- At least three (3) years’ related experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Mechanical aptitude
- Ability to write and distribute both budgetary and firm proposals to address customer RFQs
- Industry knowledge
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Strong communication, Interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills
- Ability to work individually and with a team
- Must be available to work/travel some weekends
- Understanding of cost structures as applied to building of standard and custom systems
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, or SolidWorks
- Ability to generate line layouts using AutoCAD
- Customer Service or Sales Support experience
- Project Management skills
National Instrument dba Filamatic is an equal opportunity employer. National Instrument dba Filamatic does not discriminate in employment with regard to actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions and lactation), gender identity or expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, marital status, military service or veteran status, disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances.
4119 Fordleigh Road
Baltimore, MD 21215-2292
For more information, please visit www.filamatic.com.
Please see our careers page for more FILAMATIC job opportunities.